Re: Default Gateway with Manual Setting

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:07:30PM -0400, John Mahoney wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 1:56 AM, Martyn J. Pearce <fluffy sixears co uk>wrote:
>
> > Apogolies if re-asked, I have searched the mailing-list archive to no
> > avail.
> >
> > I am running a new ubuntu install on a netbook (Eeepc surf), with wired &
> > wireless networking available, both domestic manually-configured networks
> > (no
> > dhcp).  I have added Manual profiles to both wired & wireless.  I cannot
> > get
> > the default gateway (192.168.0.12) to configure, however.
> >
> > I add two routes in the route config panel; one for
> > 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
> > (no gateway), and one for 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 (gateway 192.168.0.12).  Having
> > left
> > the edit dialogue, and applied, there is no difference to the routing table
> > as
> > displayed with route -n.  If I re-enter the routes edit panel, I find that
> > it's collapsed the routes into one, being 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0(gateway
> > 192.168.0.12); but there's no hint of the gateway in the route config.
> >

> Did you try adding the Default gateway to the Addresses section of the ipv4
> settings tab instead of the routes section.

That was it.  Sorry, I plain didn't see that, and being used to configuring
the gw in with /sbin/route, I naturally looked at the routes tab (and of
course, it does have a gateway).

So, adding in the gateway to the address worked, I'm good.
Thank you for that.

> Also, If you have both wired and wireless interfaces active, I believe, it
> will always use the wired default route first if possible.

That certainly seems to the case here.  Disconnecting the ethernet caused it
to revert to wlan, and with the gateway likewise configured there, it did The
Right Thing.

Thanks again for the assist,