RE: So very close, but so frustrating...

<snip>

>then the following wvdial configuration to establish a PPP connection...

<snip>

>So far, so good... but, when NetworkManager is not aware of a network
>connection (because the mobile phone connection has been patched-through
>from the command line) it refuses to allow me to turn on my VPN.

OK. I may be way off here, but you mentioned two things: "wvdial" and "command line" as possible reasons for your problem.

I don't understand all the nuances of it, but here is a thought:  kppp instead of wvdial?

NM does interfere with the kppp dialup (causing an instant disconnect upon connect) when it actively tries to connect to a WiFi network (or is already connected), but all I have to do then is to un-"Enable Wireless", to prevent the interference.

(Also, FWIW, for me kppp has worked flawlessly with my mobile broadband dialup.  wvdial also works for me but takes A LOT longer to dial up, for some reason, than kppp - sometimes half a minute or more, whereas kppp is rather instantaneous)

Again, I may be way off, but it's just that kppp has been a much smoother option than wvdial for me, and if command-line versus GUI is part of the NM issue here, maybe the VPN will work with a kppp connection? (At the moment I cannot test this myself)

Andrew