Re: So very close, but so frustrating...

Dan Williams wrote:
Which is why the people doing Blueman might as well have helped out
getting the native NM support up and running in the first place; the
answer at the time was "help get modem-manager working so we can do this
properly", but the Blueman people took the short, hack-for-today route.
While I dont' like that decision, it does make some people's modems work
(but definitely not everyones), and it's not the optimal interface for
making your hardware work for you.

The objective is and always has been to make this all just work and
integrate well in NetworkManager, instead of having yet more tools added
to the mix.
Ah, ha - some politics. :)
At the moment, I fall into the camp that's glad to have a (partial) solution now - even if it's badly engineered and with lots of caveats.
I do understand where you're coming from.
The NM OpenVPN plugin doesn't implement export yet.  After getting
import to work, I moved on to other also-quite-important stuff.  openvpn
export would be a great piece of low-hanging fruit that somebody could
easily develop a patch for, actually.  Any takers?
Nice attempt at coercion... Erm - I'm not refusing, but don't hold your breath. I've lots of other stuff on my own to-do list that is more urgent for me. I mentioned it mainly out of surprise... I like the idea of a save/restore configuration - but think it would be most effective if it covered all configuration - including VPNs, DSLs and WiFi. Having found the effort had been taken to provide the UI for the fine-grained approach, I didn't expect the functionality to be missing. :)
Solid support for mobility is definitely a goal we're always improving
on.  Every project needs more help, and NetworkManager is no different.
For my own sob-story, today I spent time fixing a few bugs with
certificate handling, fixing the connection editor retrieving your
secrets/passwords when you edit connections, and reviewing some patches.
I'd hoped to get back to improving the 3G/mobile broadband support
earlier this week, but a bunch of UI stuff had to be done instead.  If I
could clone myself and a some of the others who contribute a lot to the
project, we'd (a) have a more awesome NetworkManager, and (b) get rich
of the patents we'd file for cloning technology.  Oh well.
That sounds like good progress to me - even without cloning technology. ;)

One idea that has occurred - on a more general basis than my specific user-oriented problem - relates to how NetworkManager establishes connectivity when multiple connections are viable. Choosing the 'fastest' might not always be appropriate... I'm thinking about these scenarios:

1. Currently I'm in-range of two Wi-Fi routers to which I can authenticate - each with an independent broadband connection... it would be great if I both could be used simultaneously... of course, with a mobile device, the viable connections would change over time - and, ideally, the transition from one Wi-Fi router to the next would be seamless - and wouldn't even cause tcp connections to drop... assuming, of course, movement is constrained to an area with sufficiently many accessible Wi-Fi routers. Perhaps this is an issue with the underlying Wi-Fi support? 2. If multiple routers can be accessed, it would be great if the bandwidth of these routers could be combined, for example, when downloading a large file. 3. Cost seems a reasonable criteria to consider, too. For example, I know my mobile has a 1Gb fair-use policy; that I have to pay by the hour at some hot-spots and that my home router is un-metered, but slow. It would be great if configuration of my interfaces somehow embraced these concerns - and, perhaps, offered me options about the level of resources I'm willing to consume.

I wonder if there are any plans to take development in these directions?