Re: So very close, but so frustrating...

Dan Williams wrote:
Correct; I may just get bored enough today triaging bugs to go implement
DUN in 0.8.  That opens up a huge number of cellphones, which will
inevitably lead to even more bugs since there's much more phone
variation than in the relatively small data card space.  Oh well; it
would help a lot of people out.
It seems odd to be replying here using DUN via bluetooth to my phone from version 0.7.0.100... that said, having to tell Blueman that my phone has DUN capabilities every time I want to connect is klunky - and any improvement there would certainly be appreciated. My objective is to be able to just turn on my netbook just-about anywhere and access my secure email without much thought about how I'm connected.

Aside from issues with phone connectivity, I've experienced a few minor glitches with NetworkManager's OpenVPN support (or maybe VPN support in general...) For example, today I found that connections to my vpn failed - and on reviewing the client configuration, I found the "VPN" tab missing. After deleting the configuration and re-entering the details, it worked again... but on trying to export my configuration, it fails "Error: unknown error" - perhaps newer versions resolve this? I'm also finding the "connect automatically" doesn't reconnect me if I change WAP, or if I wake my netbook from hibernation.

I feel as if I'm being an ungrateful user - but it strikes me that solid support for mobile connectivity is the sort of killer-feature that makes or breaks an environment, on a mobile device, from a perspective of productivity. NetworkManager is much better than the command-line, but with what look, to me, like fairly simple improvements... It could be so much better... the obvious goal is to allow a device to seamlessly, automatically, switch between physical networks allowing the user to ignore all details about connectivity and know that the 'best' medium/route will always be used.