Re: Strange problem with MF627 and NetworkManager

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Rick Jones <rick activeservice co uk> wrote:
--On Friday, October 02, 2009 07:46:39 +0100 Alex Buell <alex buell munted org uk> wrote:

> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 14:37 -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> > Just to clarify, are all your problems happening when connecting, or
> > is the modem often not even found by NM?
>
> I think it's more to do with leaving option and usbserial modules loaded
> when the modem is unplugged. I've found that if I explicitly unload
> these two modules before plugging the modem into the USB port, Network
> Manager doesn't take so many re-tries to connect, this morning it only
> took two tries to connect!

My usbserial doesn't load at all, only Option. That stays loaded after first use, but doesn't cause any problems. Do you have a udev rule loading usbserial? I used to need that in the previous Ubuntu, but not now 'cos the device is recognised internally.

The Option driver depends on the usbserial driver.

Run the command:
cat /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/modules.dep | grep option

This should output a line showing the dependency, therefore loading the module with modprobe with also load usbserial.

Therefore if usbserial is not loading it is either statically linked into the kernel or the modules.dep file was not properly generated(highly unlikely unless you are rolling your own distro).

--
John