Re: Augmenting mobile-broadband-provider-info

Hi Antti
Hi Marcel

----- Original Message ----- From: "Marcel Holtmann" <marcel holtmann org>
To: "Antti Kaijanmäki" <antti kaijanmaki nomovok com>
Cc: <networkmanager-list gnome org>; <denkenz gmail com>
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2009 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: Augmenting mobile-broadband-provider-info

Hi Antti,

> you can't trust the network name string returned by AT+COPS since there
> are so many factors coming into play here. So first of all you have the
> names stored in the modem itself, then the names stored on the SIM card
> and then the potential updates over the network. Every hardware does
> different things to present the result of AT+COPS.

AFAIK if there's a name stored in the SIM card it will have precedence
over the ones stored inside the modem. And the ones that network sends
are probably most reliable. I have to look though the specs if there's
any information on this.

Anyway the point is that in most situations we should have a correct
alphabetical name for the provider, right?

I have seen different hardware with the same SIM card give different
names. And I also have seen different SIM card with the same hardware
result in different results.

Also you have the problem that names change over time and some hardware
and SIM card combination returns still the old one, while newer pieces
would give you the new name.

I can confirm to this. Its not only mad hardware it is also the network (sim as part of the network) itself. Names are updated over the network, but it is control only by the TA , the host has no control about it. Please dont use the long alphanumeric PLMN name as key. IMO its bad design, because no one can can predict them even for today
due to the lot of various devices and sims out there.

A smart solution would be a preselection of "plmn" using the word distance of "device PLMN Name". Lets say if you have "Base" in the host db and the device says "BASE DE" then you should not pre-select "E-Plus". IMO the fault would be equal or lesser, but the user
has a great experience if the device is working.

Denis can comment on this since he spent way more time dealing with
these details.

Regards

Marcel