Re: Augmenting mobile-broadband-provider-info

Am Sonntag, den 22.11.2009, 14:56 -0800 schrieb Dan Williams:
> On Sun, 2009-11-22 at 11:25 +0100, Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > some guys and me are working on the freesmartphone.org projects and
> > recently I stumbled over mobile-broadband-provider-info. As among the
> > network/phone crowd there is a great need for such a central database,
> > we would love to use and base on that. Some things I feel are missing in
> > there though -- would you object to augment it with additional
> > information such as:
> >
> > * full name per country
>
> Does /usr/share/zoneinfo/iso3166.tab not work for you?  The only thing
> that's missing is localization though.

True, I have just recently become aware of the stuff
below /usr/share/zoneinfo and indeed it's helpful.

> > * dial prefix per country
>
> Do you mean the international dial code like +1 for the US, etc?  We
> could do this.

Yes, that's what I mean.

> At least in the case of the timezone db, I think there's better places
> to put that.  I realize not all platforms use glibc, but I have to
> believe that even if you don't, there's going to be some timezone/locale
> information already on the system that it would be a shame to duplicate.

Ok, I agree with that. Could we at least add countries and provider's
that do not necessarily offer mobile broadband but just telephony? A
mapping from MCC MNC to country and provider name can be helpful in
various ways.

Regards,

--
:M: