Re: Augmenting mobile-broadband-provider-info

On Mon, 2009-11-23 at 17:15 +0100, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Antti,
>
> > > you can't trust the network name string returned by AT+COPS since there
> > > are so many factors coming into play here. So first of all you have the
> > > names stored in the modem itself, then the names stored on the SIM card
> > > and then the potential updates over the network. Every hardware does
> > > different things to present the result of AT+COPS.
> >
> > AFAIK if there's a name stored in the SIM card it will have precedence
> > over the ones stored inside the modem. And the ones that network sends
> > are probably most reliable. I have to look though the specs if there's
> > any information on this.
> >
> > Anyway the point is that in most situations we should have a correct
> > alphabetical name for the provider, right?
>
> I have seen different hardware with the same SIM card give different
> names. And I also have seen different SIM card with the same hardware
> result in different results.

I'm not expecting this to work on every device with every SIM card. When
it doesn't work and the selected provider is wrong we just offer the
user the change to manually select the correct option. But when it does
work and just magically out of the blue your computer or netbook or what
ever just knows your provider and it's just a single click away to get
connected, that's something that would be really cool :)

> Also you have the problem that names change over time and some hardware
> and SIM card combination returns still the old one, while newer pieces
> would give you the new name.

Sure, just like APNs do change sometimes. It's just the matter of
information gathering and maintenance. And if an operator changes the
string to be something else, there's nothing stopping us to include the
new and the old one. And if there's something conflicting then the final
solution is to leave the network-name data out from the database so that
manual selection is implicitly required.

 -- Antti