Re: Network Shares disconnected by Network Manager

> Magic, thanks, Dan.  I think you're referring to Mark Hedges post
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2009-November/msg00088.html), so I'll follow that discussion.  Sadly, no replies as of yet though!

I'm getting to it :)

Looks like you're having a catchup day today!  :-)

> I've already tried the dispatcher scripts in Ubuntu 9.10, but it
> appears that the lack of pre-down support means that the wifi
> connection is already long gone before they fire.  If support for
> pre-down scripts comes back, then I'll be able to call my
> umountcifs.sh script and handle the dismount cleanly.

Important to note that for wifi especially, your connection is more
likely to drop than for you to disconnect it yourself while in range of
the AP.  In that case the connection *will* already be gone and there's
nothing you can do about it; that's the nature of wifi.

It's probably still an open question as to whether pre-down scripts even
get run when the connection is already gone (wifi disconnect, pulled
cable, other event that NM cannot control) because most anything that a
script could do here in the case of network-already-down should be done
in post-down instead.

Dan

Yep, I'm beginning to think that the best place to really fix this is in Samba itself, as I understand that NFS doesn't suffer the same horrible time-out when closing down "dead" shares.

There's been a new version of smbclient pushed to Ubuntu 9.10 in the past couple of days, so I'll re-test autofs shortly and hopefully that will mask any unexpected drops (and shutdown/restart timeouts) like it did in Jaunty.

Thanks for the updates though.