Re: Network Shares disconnected by Network Manager

2009/11/17 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>
On Mon, 2009-11-09 at 13:37 +0000, Neil Broadley wrote:
> Regarding Ubuntu launchpad bug :
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/samba/+bug/211631?comments=all
>
> (brief summary : During shutdown/restart, Network Manager brings down
> wifi interface so quickly that remote samba filesystems in fstab
> "hang" with the "CIFS VFS server not responding" error.)
>
> In comment 117, James asks :
> Would it be possible for NetworkManager to bring up & down configured
> mount points as part of it's configuration settings? That way, it
> unmounts just before bringing the network down and mounts the
> filesystems after bring the network up ? A simple checkbox would
> suffice e.g "Control Network Shares".
>
> Is this feasible, or on the Network Manager roadmap already?  Note
> that this bug is only apparent on WIFI connected systems.  A wired
> connection is apparently kept up long enough such that the remote
> filesystems are unmounted cleanly.  Also ticking "Available to all
> users" has no effect on this bug.  It would seem to require some
> hacking of the Network Manager app itself and the way it processes
> WIFI connections on shutdown/restart.

I think you're looking for pre-down scripts which are being discussed.
WRT to the mount points, we have to be really careful to not make
NetworkManager into an amoeba octopus so complex it falls over.  Doing
mounts would best be done from dispatcher scripts or dbus clients, or
even upstart triggers.

NM provides the *event*, but there are so many use-cases that the
mechanism should be provided by those cases, not NetworkManager.

Dan

Magic, thanks, Dan.  I think you're referring to Mark Hedges post (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2009-November/msg00088.html), so I'll follow that discussion.  Sadly, no replies as of yet though!

I've already tried the dispatcher scripts in Ubuntu 9.10, but it appears that the lack of pre-down support means that the wifi connection is already long gone before they fire.  If support for pre-down scripts comes back, then I'll be able to call my umountcifs.sh script and handle the dismount cleanly.

Agree that NM shouldn't be all things to all people, but I did like the "concept" of James' suggestion for NM to manage shares.  Implementing it in all use-cases would be a nightmare though, I suppose.

Neil.