network manager and GSM IrDA connection

I have a GSM with GPRS that connects using IrDA.

I can setup a connection manually, but I need it to be done by network manager as that notifies my applications an internet connection is available.

I can not find how to configure nm so that it is notified that irda is up, so that nm can start the pppd.

What I am trying to achieve is let udev do the work for setting up the irda connection, but don't know how nm is triggered. Do I need to send a dbus message?

Or am I on the wrong path here.

Thanks in advance,

Ferry