Re: Network Manager with PolKit no longer works?

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 10:18 -0700, Chris Hessing wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There seem to be some changes between 0.7.0 and 0.8 with respect to
> using PolicyKit to get rights to add and modify system level
> connections.   With 0.7.0 I can run the command :
>
> dbus-send --session --print-reply
> --dest=org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.AuthenticationAgent / \
> org.freedesktop.PolicyKit.AuthenticationAgent.ObtainAuthorization \
> string:org.freedesktop.network-manager-settings.system.modify uint32:0
> uint32:$PPID
>

> and I am prompted to select a user with root permissions, and enter
> their password.  However, if I do the same thing on 0.8 the command just
> returns false without ever prompting.
>
> Has something changed that prevents a program other than nm-applet from
> adding/updating settings?  Or has there been some other subtle change
> that I am missing.

PolicyKit has changed; it's actually gotten a lot simpler
implementation-wise.  Docs for latest policykit are:

http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/polkit/

You may have both PK 0.8 and PK 0.9 installed; NM doesn't talk to PK
0.8, it talks to PK 0.9 and thus the call you're trying might just
always fail because it's simply doing nothing.  The correct D-Bus
interface to use is actually org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Authority.