Re: nm-applet icon sometimes doesn't show up on first boot

On Tue, 2009-11-03 at 20:37 +0200, Maxim Levitsky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not sure that this is nm-applet bug or gnome-panel bug, or something
> else.
>
> Problem is that after a fresh boot, sometimes, nm-applet icon doesn't
> show up. Instead I see a copy of another icon (something like two volume
> controls of which one is real, and second is the nm-applet icon), and
> the 'fake' icon doesn't respond to anything.
>
> If I restart the nm-applet, or if I restart gnome-panel, icon shows up
> correctly.
>
> I use ubuntu 9.10. Its very likely that this is a race condition, thus
> hard to reproduce on another system.
>
> Is this known?

Those specific symptoms aren't known, no.  But it *could* be a crash
that I fixed two weeks ago upstream in nm-applet where new versions of
gnome-panel resize the icon at different times, causing the applet to
request size 0 icons from the GTK theme and then crash.  Perhaps the
application crash handler is attaching to the crashed nm-applet process
and causing it to not work while gathering the crash info behind the
scenes.

http://git.gnome.org/cgit/network-manager-applet/commit/?id=221100696102171218155c3356317cfba105cad4