Re: bug or "feature" ??

On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 18:52 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> On Monday 02 November 2009 16:21:17 Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 16:54 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> > > I notice that if I stop the NetworkManager service:
> > >     /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
> > > that the interfaces started by NetworkManager are not always stopped.
> > >
> > > Note: this is a F12 qemu-kvm guest with multiple (two) NICs defined.
> > >
> > > Bug or "feature"??
> >
> > Feature.  It allows you to do 'service NetworkManager restart' and have
> > the connection survive.  This is implemented for wired static and DHCP
> > interfaces only and was requested quite a few times by people who run
> > headless servers where you may need to update NM on-the-fly and not be
> > kicked out when doing so.  It's also necessary for NM to seamlessly take
> > over a connection from the initrd where the rootfs is network mounted.
>
> Did this feature get added to F12? I tried F11 and "stop" seems to shutdown
> all of the interfaces started by NetworkManager.

Yes, added in NetworkManager 0.8.

> I can understand the need for this feature but the unintended consequence is
> that I now have to go through a lot of manual stuff to stop the interfaces.
> Using /etc/init.d/network to stop everything is not much better since it also
> stops the internal ("lo") network.

NM has a Disconnect method in D-Bus that does what you're looking for.
It simply doesn't do it automatically when quitting.  You have to
manually shut stuff down using 'ifdown' anyway when not using NM; you
can think of NM like an 'ifup' that never quits.  Non-debugging use-case
is expected to be NM running until system shutdown, or a restart of NM,
not turning NM off completely at runtime and still going...