Re: bug or "feature" ??

On Monday 02 November 2009 16:21:17 Dan Williams wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-11-02 at 16:54 -0400, Gene Czarcinski wrote:
> > I notice that if I stop the NetworkManager service:
> >     /etc/init.d/NetworkManager stop
> > that the interfaces started by NetworkManager are not always stopped.
> >
> > Note: this is a F12 qemu-kvm guest with multiple (two) NICs defined.
> >
> > Bug or "feature"??
>
> Feature.  It allows you to do 'service NetworkManager restart' and have
> the connection survive.  This is implemented for wired static and DHCP
> interfaces only and was requested quite a few times by people who run
> headless servers where you may need to update NM on-the-fly and not be
> kicked out when doing so.  It's also necessary for NM to seamlessly take
> over a connection from the initrd where the rootfs is network mounted.

Did this feature get added to F12? I tried F11 and "stop" seems to shutdown
all of the interfaces started by NetworkManager.

I can understand the need for this feature but the unintended consequence is
that I now have to go through a lot of manual stuff to stop the interfaces.
Using /etc/init.d/network to stop everything is not much better since it also
stops the internal ("lo") network.

I am not sure what the right answer is.

Gene