Re: Trouble waking from sleep

On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 16:25 +0200, Christopher Lang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am seeing a similar behavior with NM (or dbus) in general, regardless of the
> type of network being used:
>
> Under Ubuntu 8.10:
>
> In the file:
> /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/10NetworkManager
>
> a signal is sent to NM via dbus when the PC wants to go to sleep. I can see,
> that this signal is properly delivered to NM, when going to suspend.
>
> However, when coming back from suspend, although the
> log in /var/log/pm-suspend.log clearly shows that the 10NM... script was
> executed properly no "wake" signal is delivered to NM via dbus (at least not
> always).
>
> This is strange, because one would assume that after comming back from suspend
> dbus is up and operational immediately; here in this case it looks that the
> dbus-send in 10NM... is not always going through to NM in the case of resume.
>
> I belive in these cases when NM is not waking up properly it is necessary to
> debug signal delivery to NM from the 10NetworkManager script via dbus-send.

Guys, do some searching on the list.  This problem has been covered over
and over again.

The problem is a bug in dbus where the bus ignores messages from very
short-lived processes.  If the process (liek dbus-send) exits before
dbus has had a chance to process the message, there's a chance the
message gets dropped.

That's why --print-reply works; it forces the dbus-send to stick around
longer, and the sleep/wake to NM doesn't get dropped.

NM prints out messages when it gets sleep/wake calls, and it will dump
them to syslog.  If you don't see "waking up..." from NM, then NM didn't
get the signal.

Dan