Re: NM before login?

Eric Brunet lps ens fr wrote:

>> > If it is possible,
>> > what are the steps one must take to implement this?
>> > (I'm running Fedora-10 with KDE.)
>>
>> This is provided by the nm-system-settings service.  You'll want to grab
>> the NM from F-10 updates-testing:
>>
>> https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F10/FEDORA-2009-3686
>
> Those have pushed to regular updates, haven't they ? I have on my F10-kde
> computer:
> 	NetworkManager-0.7.1-1.fc10
> 	NetworkManager-gnome-0.7.1-1.fc10
> which are the same names as on the webpage you give.
>>
>> and after a reboot, you should be able to use the connection editor to
>> mark your wifi connections as "Available to all users", which means they
>> will be available before login.
>
> I ran nm-connection-editor, and when I select one of my connections (wired
> or wireless) and hit the Edit button, a window opens and right at the
> bottom, there is a checkbox titled "Available to all users".
>
> Unfortunately, this checkbox is grayed out and cannot be checked!

I followed the advice given to get the version of NM from updates-testing,
and it seemed to work as suggested - I was able to tick the checkbox.

I haven't checked the version numbers, but something was downloaded
when I ran "sudo yum --enablerepo=updates-testing update NetworkManager",
so I take it there was a newer version there.
This was a few days ago; maybe that version is now standard?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net