Re: Operation from command line?

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 12:51 -0700, don fisher wrote:
> Is it possible to use NM from the command line? I do not know how to run
> the nm-applet in that environment.

NM exposes a D-Bus interface that can be manipulated through
command-line utilities.  There have been a number of them started, but
apparently none really finished.  Some control can be done via
dbus-send, or you can use python quite easily.

A command-line utility is definitely something on the todo-list.

> Also, is there a document that describes what NM is doing an what files
> it accesses. I am trying to get half way back to the old situation where
> the files were in etc like /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

nm-system-settings translates system config files and provides those to
NetworkManager.  If those files are marked with ONBOOT=yes, then NM will
activate them automatically.  If they aren't, some simple python would
allow you to essentially ifup/ifdown those.

I think in the future we do actually want to hook up Fedora's
ifup/ifdown to NM when NM is being used.