Operation from command line?

Is it possible to use NM from the command line? I do not know how to run the nm-applet in that environment.

Also, is there a document that describes what NM is doing an what files it accesses. I am trying to get half way back to the old situation where the files were in etc like /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.

Thanks in advance for your help.
don
|    Don Fisher                         hdf3 comcast net        |
|    865 W. Cresta Loma Dr.             VOICE: (520)888-7613    |
| Tucson, AZ. 85704-3705 |