Re: NetworkManager and Dell 5530

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 22:10 +0000, Miles Sabin wrote:
> Apologies if this is too distro-specific for this list, but I'm
> reasonably sure it's an upstream issue ...
>
> I've just updated from,
>
>   NetworkManager-0.7.0.99-3.fc10
>
> to,
>
>   NetworkManager-0.7.0.99-5.git20090326.fc10.i386
>
> and my Dell 5530 (aka Ericsson F3705g) has stopped working.
>
> With the earlier release NetworkManager would recognize four devices
> (/dev/ttyUSB[0,2,4,10]) as having GSM modem capabilities and the NM
> applet would consequently present four mobile broadband devices to
> connect with. Of these only /dev/ttyUSB2 and /dev/ttyUSB4 appeared to
> actually correspond to the modem, but selecting the the NM applet menu
> entries in turn would very reliably produce a functional connection
> and ppp session.

Can you try to blacklist the 'option' driver
(in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist by adding a link "blacklist option") and
reboot, and see how many ttys you get?  The device should then be driven
by cdc-acm instead of option, which is really the correct driver for the
modem.

Also, the output of 'udevadm info --export-db' would be useful (remove
non-tty-related entries) so we can see what the prober is doing.  We can
also log the prober output to see what's going on.

Just for reference, I did check -4 against an F3507g (same card) in a
Thinkpad X200 and it was working fine with that.  So it should be
working OK, just need to track down what the issue is.

Dan