Re: How to send the DBUS signal to NetworkManager in user space?

Dear Dan,

> How do the huawei cards start the actual data connection?

Well, we use the 'qmi' command to start the actual data connection at present,  but not with AT command.
But I think we will use AT command to do it later.

> A few more questions for you:
>
> 1) does the device support PPP at all on the AT-capable ttys?

 No, in our device, we have two or more ports can support AT command, but only the modem port can support PPP.
 In generally, the first port of our device will be the modem port, so you must dial up the data connection with PPP, using the first port of our device.

> 3) Does the card advertise one or more CDC-ACM ports and one CDC-ETHER
> port, or are the serial ports still driven by 'option'?

 Well, there is one CDC-ACM port and one CDC-ETHER port on our device.
  For the CDC-ACM port, attacthed to by serial driver 'option';
  For the CDC-ECM port, we develop a new driver for it, based on the driver 'cdc-ether.c' in the kernel.
  And however, we have found the solution to notify the NetworkManager while our device is connected or disconnected to the Internet with CDC-ECM port.

> For now, with NetworkManager 0.7.x, we have limited support for the
> Option 'hso' modems and the Ericsson F3507g.  We may be able to support
> these newer Huawei devices in 0.7.x too.
>
> For NetworkManager 0.8/head, we have a much more flexible system called
> ModemManager which will definitely have the infrastructure to handle
> your card.  We'd love to add support for your cards to ModemManager, and
> also if possible to NM 0.7.x.

  Well, that's great. Our modem port can support AT command to dial up. So I think that it will best if you can make the NetworkManager or ModemManager to support our cards.
  If any problems, please feed them back to me, then I will do my best to solve it for you.
  Thanks.

>>    2. While I dial-up the data card to connect to the Ethernet, the NetworkManager will not be activated to refresh the information, such as IP, for our data card in the linux system.
>>      I want to send some signal or method_call to NetworkManager by DBUS to activate it in the user space.
>>      Which signal or method_call can I send ? How to send them?
>
> This is expected because the card is not handled natively by
> NetworkManager's 3G support.  If possible (and I think it is), we should
> teach NetworkManager about your new hardware, then everything will work
> happily together.
>
> In return, I have a question for you too :)
>
> I have a Huawei E160G card (firmware version 11.604.06.00.156) that I am
> trying to make NetworkManager talk to.  The device randomly stops
> responding to AT commands on its first serial port and must be unplugged
> and replugged to make it respond again.  Could you direct me to somebody
> who could help me debug this behavior and thus make Huawei cards better
> supported for NetworkManager users?

Well, thanks very much for your feeding back this issue.
But I am sorry, can you tell me more details for it?
Such as, how do do send the AT command, with chat or wvdial?
And is there any other application try to send the AT command to our device through other port?
And what's its phenomenon, so you think that the device has stopped responding?

Waiting for your feeding back, thanks very much.

Best Regards,

Franko Fang
2009-3-21

 This email and its attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI, which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed above. Any use of the information contained here in any way (including, but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please notify the sender by phone or email
 immediately and delete it!