Re: Default-Routing problems

I understood your issue and my statement may have been more general than directly addressing your issue, but if you were able to give the wireless connection priority in receiving the default route over the wired your problem would be solved.  You could have a static route to only the subnet on the wired lan and a default route to the Internet over the wireless. Currently, if you plug in a wired connection it is stealing the default route.  Sorry, I sort of extended the issue past what you were directly trying to solve.

--
John

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Daniel <techknow internalkernel com> wrote:
On Saturday 14 March 2009 19:51:51 John Mahoney wrote:
> I have heard a lot of talk about people wanting to prioritize devices or
> use multiple wan devices as once.  I strongly disagree with people who want
> want to use multiple wan devices at once and balance traffic based on
> connections (src ip,src port,dest ip, dest port).  One, this breaks a lot
> of programs that have related connections which they expect from the same
> src ip. Two, in a desktop environment with a single user this really does
> not give a huge performance gain and if one link is much slower than the
> other it could potentially decrease preformance.  Three, it is very
> complicated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Perhaps I should have explained my situation a little more... In instances
where I am using two connections, it is not for a load/traffic balancing
purpose. Primarily, it is on work sites where the wireless is my connection to
the internet and the LAN is a segregated LAN with no outside access. The
problem is that when I have a wireless connection going, then plug in the
ethernet - the route defaults to the wired connection. Hence, killing my
ability to waste time surfing and reading mailing lists... ;) This also
applies in reverse; if I start with a wired connection, and then associate the
wireless - the route still defaults to the wired.

It sounds like the person that started this thread also has a similar issue
(needing to connect to a printer). Now, whether this is caused by NM and the
way it manages connections is not known to me.

Daniel