Re: Default-Routing problems

I have heard a lot of talk about people wanting to prioritize devices or use multiple wan devices as once.  I strongly disagree with people who want want to use multiple wan devices at once and balance traffic based on connections (src ip,src port,dest ip, dest port).  One, this breaks a lot of programs that have related connections which they expect from the same src ip. Two, in a desktop environment with a single user this really does not give a huge performance gain and if one link is much slower than the other it could potentially decrease preformance.  Three, it is very complicated.

 I would like to see fail over in a sense where an order which specific devices are used can be set.   I realize this is a lot of work and feel a good short term fix would be to allow the user to configure the wan priority based on device types. That would possibly help a large portion of users until a more fine tuned fail over solution is implemented.  I guess maybe I should ask, is there any plan or interest in implmenting fail over at all.

Thanks,
John

On Sat, Mar 14, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Daniel <techknow internalkernel com> wrote:
On Saturday 14 March 2009 13:10:25 Chuck Anderson wrote:
> > I have a laptop running Fedora Core 9 with all the updated versions of
> > Network Manager etc.
>
> > Ethernet cable to the laptop, I lose my internet connection; more
> > specifically the default route is reset from the GSM to the Ethernet,
> > even though the wired intranet does not have any internet access.
>
> What exactly does the default route get set to when you plug in the
> wired Ethernet to the printer?  Is it the same value as your IP
> address on that LAN?

I've noticed the same thing using wired and wireless, it always defaults to
the wired route regardless of pre-existing connections. I've just always set
it manually afterwards. I have tried on occasion playing with the "Route"
setting in the connection editor, however this has only helped on static vpns
- perhaps I missed the syntax though.

Again, never bothered me enough to do anything about it... but since it's on
the table... there's my two cents. :)
Daniel