Re: Default-Routing problems

On Saturday 14 March 2009 19:51:51 John Mahoney wrote:
> I have heard a lot of talk about people wanting to prioritize devices or
> use multiple wan devices as once.  I strongly disagree with people who want
> want to use multiple wan devices at once and balance traffic based on
> connections (src ip,src port,dest ip, dest port).  One, this breaks a lot
> of programs that have related connections which they expect from the same
> src ip. Two, in a desktop environment with a single user this really does
> not give a huge performance gain and if one link is much slower than the
> other it could potentially decrease preformance.  Three, it is very
> complicated.
>
> Thanks,
> John

Perhaps I should have explained my situation a little more... In instances
where I am using two connections, it is not for a load/traffic balancing
purpose. Primarily, it is on work sites where the wireless is my connection to
the internet and the LAN is a segregated LAN with no outside access. The
problem is that when I have a wireless connection going, then plug in the
ethernet - the route defaults to the wired connection. Hence, killing my
ability to waste time surfing and reading mailing lists... ;) This also
applies in reverse; if I start with a wired connection, and then associate the
wireless - the route still defaults to the wired.

It sounds like the person that started this thread also has a similar issue
(needing to connect to a printer). Now, whether this is caused by NM and the
way it manages connections is not known to me.

Daniel