/etc/hosts behavior

I am seeing behavior in some situations where the /etc/hosts file get updated with   myhostname localhost.localdomain localhost

Realip        myhostname

Notice myhostname is now linked to the loopback address.

This causes JBoss server instances to not properly bind to the external IP but only the loopback in our application.

I looked in NetworkManagerPolicy.c and saw that the update_etc_hosts procedure seems to do this modification.   Is there a particular reason this is done?  What situations would cause this to occur?  It seems to me to be a bad idea