Re: NM stops and doesn't connect

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 20:17 +0000, Cliff McDiarmid wrote:
> [...]

Yeah, what we should do is track down why the dbus activation stuff
isn't working on your system.  Any chance you'd like to download the
dbus source package for your distro and rebuild it?  YOu don't need to
install it, since we can muck around in the source package build areas
and just touch the tools we need, then copy them to the correct place on
the system with our debugging information added.

> I should make it clear that I'm trying to connect via the command
> prompt as a user, although I get the same result as root.  I assume this
> is possible or should I be in a desktop manager with the applet etc?

Yes, as long as the connection is provided either by the system settings
service or the applet, you should be able to tell NM to connect using a
simple python app or dbus-send.

> > NetworkManager is trying to start the system settings service with D-Bus
> > service activation, which is normal.  Do you have
> > the
> > /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings.service file, and if so, what does it
> > contain?
>
> [D-BUS Service]
> Name=org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings
> Exec=/usr/sbin/nm-system-settings --config
> /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
> User=root
>
> > When nm-system-settings is started, what's the output of the following
> > command?
> >
> > dbus-send --system --print-reply
> > --dest=org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSystemSettings
> > /org/freedesktop/NetworkManagerSettings
> > org.freedesktop.NetworkManagerSettings.ListConnections
>
> method return sender=:1.2 -> dest=:1.4 reply_serial=2
>     object path "/fi/epitest/hostap/WPASupplicant/Interfaces/0"

Hmm, that output doesn't look like something that the command would have
returned.  That looks like the output from a previous dbus-send command
that I probably mailed to you when trying to debug the supplicant
autolaunch issue.

In any case, lets get to the bottom of this by building some debug info
into the dbus autolaunch binary.