Re: Ideas for NetworkManager

On Fri, 2009-02-27 at 16:18 +1000, Дмитрий Унру wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have some ideas for NetworkManager:
>
> 1. Add visual configurator for iptables.

That's probably better off in a Firewall configuration applet; I don't
think it's core to NetworkManager.  It's something I've thought about
for a long time, since many of the available firewall configs suck.  But
personally, I believe it could be done much better as a separate
application than NM.

> 2. Make gnome-ppp as part of NetworkManager.

Yeah, we do plan to support more types of devices (like dialup modems
and ISDN) in the future.

> 3. Possibility of enabling toonel.net proxy server.

At the moment, I think that proxy server handling should also be done
externally to NM, partly because there are so many proxy server systems.
NM already emits enough information over D-Bus that another app can set
applicable proxy servers when a specific connection is activated.