How to suppress pop-up window when device is inserted ?

Hi,

for example under Ubuntu 8.10, which uses nm-applet, there is a pop-up
whenever a 3G or similar GSM device is plugged in.

Is there a way to switch that off or suppress it?

Interesting would be also to understand, do I have to tell the nm-applet
somehow not to display the pop-up or is there a way I can tell NetworkManager
to leave some devices alone (maybe through dbus)?

Or, is there a way to tell NM not to report it, still allowing manual config
when the user chooses to?

many thanks,

Chris

http://www.acurana.de/