Re: Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic
- From: Gary C Martin <gary garycmartin com>
- To: Chris Ball <cjb laptop org>
- Cc: bens alum mit edu, sugar-devel <sugar-devel lists sugarlabs org>, networkmanager-list <networkmanager-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic
- Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 03:19:39 +0100
On 23 Jun 2009, at 02:11, Chris Ball wrote:
But, auto attach to any old public AP with no prior user selection?
That's just asking for trouble...
What trouble is that asking for?
A very fair question:
I think that Sugar should prioritize what its user might want over
what the potential wishes of a potential authority figure might be.
I don't think I've ever been in a situation where connecting to an
open access point would have displeased me, when it was the only
Hmmm, how about when a class of kids first boot up and _automatically_
connect to some random, unfiltered, strangers open/public wifi next to
the school, rather than following the teachers instructions to attach
to an encrypted school AP running through a firewall? Maybe I am
playing devils advocate a little here – but if another example of this
implementation helps, here's Apples network setting for this case:
] [Thread Prev