Re: Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic

On 23 Jun 2009, at 02:11, Chris Ball wrote:

Hi Gary,

But, auto attach to any old public AP with no prior user selection?
That's just asking for trouble...

What trouble is that asking for?

A very fair question:

I think that Sugar should prioritize what its user might want over
what the potential wishes of a potential authority figure might be.

I don't think I've ever been in a situation where connecting to an
open access point would have displeased me, when it was the only
connectivity available.

Hmmm, how about when a class of kids first boot up and _automatically_ connect to some random, unfiltered, strangers open/public wifi next to the school, rather than following the teachers instructions to attach to an encrypted school AP running through a firewall? Maybe I am playing devils advocate a little here – but if another example of this implementation helps, here's Apples network setting for this case:

PNG image

Regards,
--Gary