Re: [Sugar-devel] Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic

On 22 Jun 2009, at 15:44, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:

Tomeu Vizoso wrote:
2009/6/10 Benjamin M. Schwartz <bmschwar fas harvard edu>:
Daniel Drake wrote:
And now the logic I want to implement, which is similar to that in
previous OLPC OS releases:
- First, attempt to connect to any known access points that are in range
using saved credentials. Always prefer known APs to mesh.
- As a fallback if those APs fail, or if no APs are available or if
we've never connected to any (e.g. on first boot), try the mesh.
I'm not quite clear on your exact intention here.  I'd just like to
suggest that unknown unencrypted infrastructure APs get higher priority
than mesh.

Even if the user never connected to that AP before?

Yes.  I suspect that even the pay-for-access APs in internet cafes and
airports still allow link-local connections for free, and it will likely be much faster than the mesh. It also provides the best chance of getting
an internet connection.

I'm not sure that was quite the question. Should Sugar automatically attach to a public AP even though it has never been manually attached to that AP before? I'd say a bug **NO** to that one. Sure automatically create link-local connections if no know AP is found. But, auto attach to any old public AP with no prior user selection? That's just asking for trouble...

Regard,
-Gary

--Ben