Re: [Sugar-devel] Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic
- From: Gary C Martin <gary garycmartin com>
- To: bens alum mit edu
- Cc: sugar-devel <sugar-devel lists sugarlabs org>, networkmanager-list <networkmanager-list gnome org>
- Subject: Re: [Sugar-devel] Sugar + OLPC mesh network selection logic
- Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 01:07:34 +0100
On 23 Jun 2009, at 00:10, Benjamin M. Schwartz wrote:
Gary C Martin wrote:
But, auto attach to any old public AP with no prior user selection?
That's just asking for trouble...
What trouble is that asking for?
A very fair question:
1) Many Public APs do not provide internet access and mangle traffic
to go to their "pay us some money branded pages", long delays followed
by strange errors can follow, if you don't understand this.
2) In some countries, connection to an open AP can still be treated as
theft (though ambiguous), I guess you could argue the toss with some
lawyer if you have the money, or hope the blame goes to who ever
didn't know how to secure their AP.
3) Magically getting internet access via some automatic process hides
novices from the fact they are using someone else's internet
connection. A novice user is unlikely to realise the potential issues.
4) Automatically connecting to the AP of the 16yr old son of their
neighbour, 3 doors down, may surprise some parents if they are touchy
about their kids having open Internet access.
] [Thread Prev