Re: The state of firewall management...

Marc Herbert a écrit :

> Sorry for ranting but I am a bit tired of the "everyone needs a
> firewall" bullshit.

Now trying to be more constructive: I would much prefer NetworkManager
to have some kind of integration with "system-config-services" rather
than with "system-config-firewall" (pardon my Fedora-speak, I think
non-Fedora users will get the point anyway).

Something along those lines: "You are about to connect to an untrusted
network. Do you want to switch off network listening daemons?".

Or even better, something like this:
http://homepage.mac.com/locationmanager/screenshots.html

It's not because Windows is lousy and not able to track listening ports
that Linux has to copy its uselessly complex, firewall-based model. It
can surely do simpler.