Re: The state of firewall management...

Ah, but what if I wanted to sit in my local coffee shop doing some development work on my website (apache running on my local machine) but wanted to use their public wifi to access docs etc online. I want myself to have access to my apache server but I want to prevent others in the coffee shop from also having access. A firewall isn't only about prevention access to network listening daemons, it's about granularity in that restriction :)

2009/6/23 Marc Herbert <Marc Herbert gmail com>
Marc Herbert a écrit :

> Sorry for ranting but I am a bit tired of the "everyone needs a
> firewall" bullshit.

Now trying to be more constructive: I would much prefer NetworkManager
to have some kind of integration with "system-config-services" rather
than with "system-config-firewall" (pardon my Fedora-speak, I think
non-Fedora users will get the point anyway).

Something along those lines: "You are about to connect to an untrusted
network. Do you want to switch off network listening daemons?".

Or even better, something like this:
http://homepage.mac.com/locationmanager/screenshots.html

It's not because Windows is lousy and not able to track listening ports
that Linux has to copy its uselessly complex, firewall-based model. It
can surely do simpler.