Re: debug tips

Aaron Konstam a écrit :

>> Huh? startx is changing the runlevel? That is some news.

> This is a semantic argument. rl3 does not support X, rl5 does.

OK.

> I have never actually checked this but I would be amazed if when one
> runs startx the system does not switch to rl5.

Then be amazed?

I have run startx and changed runlevels countless times on a number of
various systems and I have never seen startx changing the runlevel
(and especially not when run as a regular user, like it usually
should be). startx does not change the runlevel on Fedora 10. I would be
amazed if it does on Fedora 8.

Manually starting or stopping X (or any other service) will never
change the runlevel, because runlevels control services, not the
other way around.

By the way runlevels do not startx (unless you hacked your system
configuration). They start X through a more flexible login manager
instead (gdm, xdm, prefdm, etc.)

Runlevels are currently becoming less and less relevant because of
Linux upstart (resp. MacOS launchd, Solaris SMF, etc.)

I was first afraid that this discussion would be off-topic, but
actually not so much: NM must be started somehow.

Cheers,

Marc