Re: debug tips

On Sun, 2009-05-31 at 09:21 -0700, Daniel Fetchinson wrote:
> >> I'm trying to debug a 100% reproducable issue but don't really know
> >> where to look for clues.
> >>
> >> I have a Sony VAIO VGN-FZ240E, running 64bit Fedora 8.
> >>
> >> It happens with many wifi networks that when I boot everything goes
> >> fine, I can connect to the wifi network with nm-applet but as soon as
> >> I lose the connection I will never be able reconnect. The networks in
> >> question use pre-shared keys. If I reboot, everything will be fine
> >> again, I can connect using the password, but as soon as I lose
> >> connection the only way I can reconnect is by reboot.
> >>
> >> Instead of rebooting I tried manually restarting all network related
> >> services but that doesn't help. These are the services I restart in
> >> this order from /etc/rc3.d that I guess are relevant:
> >>
> >> service ip6tables restart
> >> service iptables restart
> >> service network restart
> > NetworkManager and network are two different competitive systems to
> > support networking. I don't say it would work but you should restart
> > NetworkManager not network.
>
> Sure. But in /etc/rc3.d the order of the network related services is this:
>
> ip6tables
> iptables
> network
> NetworkManager
> NetworkManagerDispatcher
Not on my machine.  NetworkManager and network are not designed to run
at the same time. It is not clear what NM would do in run level 3
without X. You certainly don't have a nm-applet running at rl 3 in any
meaningful fashion.

> So I've tried stopping all 5 services and starting them in the above
> order, because they get started in the above order while booting. But
> already the third service, 'network', fails and wlan doesn't come up.
> If I nevertheless restart NetworkManager and NetworkManagerDispatcher
> I can see the wireless network in question in nm-applet but can not
> connect. I enter the pre-shared key password but it wouldn't connect,
> it just gives back the password window.
Look you talk about rc3.d but if you are using nm-applet you can't be at
run level 3 so what is in rc3.d is irrelevant. We are having a giant
miscommunication going on . What rl are you actually running at?

> If I reboot though the above 5 services are started in the above order
> and everything works, wlan comes up and nm-applet can connect using
> the same pre-shared key password.
>
> So it seems to me that I need to do some additional steps manually to
> completely reproduce what is happening at boot time. It just seems
> impossible to me that I can not reproduce everything what is happening
> at boot time, without actually rebooting but doing the same things
> manually as root.
>
> Any ideas where should I be looking for clues?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Daniel

Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he is
supposed to be doing at the moment. -- Robert Benchley