Re: Connecting with eMobile D02HW

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 13:36 +0900, Jacobs Shannon wrote:
> Greetings, and I hope this is the correct forum to ask this
> question... I searched the archives and only found a few slightly
> related mentions of eMobile, but no answer to my question. The kinds
> of questions seems relevant, however, so:
>
> Background: My eMobile connection uses a D02HW that connects via the
> USB port. It works well with Windows (which I hate using), and I can
> connect in Ubuntu Ibix 8.10 with pon and poff using instructions
> such as these (in the second section):
>
> http://forums.ubuntulinux.jp/viewtopic.php?id=3675
>
> However, I want to make it work via the NetworkManager Applet
> (0.7.0) on my old ThinkPad X30. So far it recognizes the device and
> I modified the preexisting (Vodafone) connection, but when I try to
> connect with NetworkManager, it just tries and then disconnects.
> Where can I control the other settings in the /etc/ppp/peers
> parameter file? In particular, I think I need the noauth setting,
> but NetworkManager rejects my attempts to do it graphically...

>From looking at it, we probably need to separate out some stuff in the
nm-connection-editor GUI.  The auth protocol options should apply
separately to the local and remote peer, but right now they are somewhat
conglomerated.

Does your provider require you to authenticate with a username and
password?  Try unchecking the "Use Authentication" box in the connection
editor for your mobile broadband connection, and see if that works.  If
it doesn't, we'll need to patch the connection editor a bit in light of
what I've found above.