Re: Configuring routes on a VPN

2009/1/22 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com>:
> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 10:58 -0500, Yaakov Nemoy wrote:
>> Hi List,
>>
>> Recently, NM managed to lose my preconfigured routes for my VPN
>> settings. In an older version, i was able to take a space delimited
>> list of ip.ip.ip.ip/mask and copy and paste that into NM's
>> configuration dialog. Since then i've never had to look at it. In it's
>> current rendition, 0.7 on Fedora 10, the dialog is a complete user
>> interface fail. It requires several mouse clicks for each item in that
>> list. Given that there are nearly 20 items on this list, it would
>> probably take me half an hour to edit it.
>
> I've got plans to make it easier to do, but fighting GtkTreeView is a
> bit hard :)  Basically, hitting Tab should move you to the next column,
> and there should be key combos for adding/deleting.

I'll be looking forward to it. Meanwhile, it would be nice if there
was a way to just take a comma delimited list and copy it into gconf
somehow. But at this point, it's moot, because of what i have to say
next.

>> Peeking into gconf to get a better idea of what's going on isn't much
>> more enlightening. gconf isn't just storing IP's and subnet masks, but
>> using some other weird oddball algorithm to save the information.
>>
>> Instead, every time i log on to my company's VPN, all connections are
>> being forced to be routed through there, and this is a complete drag
>> on my internet connection. Could someone please shed a bit of light on
>> how i'm supposed to enter in all the VPN routes?
>
> If the VPN server is sending routes to you, they will get installed
> unless you check "Ignore automatically provided routes" in the Routes
> dialog.  You can also enter additional routes manually.

Apparently, i am getting routes from the VPN, but being a noob at
working with Cisco VPNs, i had no idea.

> If you want to only use the VPN for VPN stuff, check the "Use this
> connection only for resources on its network" checkbox in the Routes
> dialog (landed just after 0.7, will be in 0.7.1) or add some manual
> routes.  Then NM will only route traffic for those routes over the VPN.

Funny enough, i have 0.7.0 on this F10 box, but that checkbox is in
fact there. Checking it seems to do the trick. I'm assuming my VPN is
sending out all the right subnets and routes though. Let's just hope
they included the really screwy ones that are at the end of that list
i have. :)

Thanks for the reply.

-Yaakov