Re: Mobile broadband connects to wrong USB device

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 3:19 PM, julien bresciani
<julien bresciani free fr> wrote:
> why not putting init strings able to be changed in gconf registry for
> example, only the advanced user will touch these parameters.

Again, what is there to change? You have to keep echo off and the only
possible change current NM requires is changing ATZ to AT&F. I propose
another solution:

* either always perform AT&F and set all attributes as needed
* or try ATZ0 and if it fails, fall back to AT&F

None of these require any configuration.

Again, allowing the user to override the init command in gconf would
make it easy to trick people into dialing into pay-per-minute lines or
do other nasty stuff (using operator dialtone codes to reconfigure
your phone line to redirect incoming calls to a sex line anybody?).
Just tell 'em to "overwrite that config string with this one to
increase your network speed up to 13%" and people will blindly do so.

> to solve some problems , why not create a dummy class adapter, this adapter
> should be held by network manager but his comportement completely scriptable
> linkable to wvdial and other advanced scriptable linux connection tools :
> waking up , creating a ppp interface for example, initializing a modem...

Just stop NM daemon if you do not want to use it.

> this could solve the problems with pidgin firefox and all other stuff always
> waiting for network manager if you use bluetooth connection with wvdial for
> example... (I waiting with impatience the bluetooth coming to NM.)

Follow the above and all the above should assume the network to be up.

--
Patryk Zawadzki