Re: Mobile broadband connects to wrong USB device

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Rick Jones <rick activeservice co uk> wrote:
> --On Tuesday, January 06, 2009 18:03:53 +1100 Ben <ben benjamin it> wrote:
>
>> I guess some things are not meant to be. It would be nice if the init
>> string was not hard coded =)
> I agree completely. I too have posted about problems with the init string. I
> think it's wildly optimistic to assume that you can hard-code an init string
> that will work with all the modems out there, including ones to be produced
> in future.

Actually the ones to be produced in the future are guaranteed to be in
a much better shape than those in the past.

> i understand that NM is trying to avoid presenting the user with nasty
> technical configuration issues, but there are already many "technical"
> conifigs available in the connection-setting dialogs. Most users probably
> don't fully understand these either, but they are of course necessary in
> order to be able to make connections work in all circumstances. The defaults
> work in most cases, but can be tweaked - usually with help - if required. My
> view is the modem init string falls into this category.

Allowing one to edit the init string is a security threat similar to
allowing users to provide custom firmware.

Other than that there seem to be only two differences between devices
reported so far. One is the initial echo state which is insignificant,
the second one is whether the device supports ATZ or requires AT&F +
defaults.

--
Patryk Zawadzki