Re: Default domain with VPN

--On Friday, February 06, 2009 12:58:23 -0500 Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:

> You mean that the LAN has a PPtP VPN server, and you're out somewhere
> connecting back to the LAN via a PPTP connection?

Precisely!

> AFAIK, PPTP doesn't have the ability to send a domain name back to the
> VPN client, thus NM can't find out what it should be.

I'm not sure how Windows works it out, but then I'm sure half of MS stuff runs on voodoo :)

> I'd say you
> should set the "Searches" field in the connection editor, but it looks
> like you can't do that and retain the automatic DNS servers at the same
> time.  I'll fix that.

Yes, that will work, I hadn't thought of that. It works for me as-is because the address of the DNS server in the VPN is fixed anyway so I can put that in manually. But a fix to allow "search" independent of DNS acquisition would be good.

--
Cheers
Rick