Re: Prevent auto scan in wireless devices (Aloisio Almeida)

On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 12:51 -0800, Howard Chu wrote:
> Howard Chu wrote:
> > I think you need to acknowledge that single AP deployments are a very common
> > occurrence. Yes, there are offices and hotels and other large buildings that
> > deploy multiple APs throughout a campus, where roaming is an issue. But you're
> > trying to force NM to act as a one-size-fits-all solution and that frankly
> > isn't reality.
> >
> Perhaps a workable approach would be to check for multiple APs with the same
> SSID at the beginning of an association; if more than one is seen, then keep
> background scanning enabled...

One thought I had to fix your case, where scanning interrupts a stream,
is to use a sliding window to look at the number frames
transmitted/received, and if there is a significant number of them in
the past, oh, 30 seconds, postpone the scan for a bit.  If there's a
postponed scan and the number of tx/rx frames drops below a certain
number, let the scan proceed.  Thus, as long as your download or VOIP
conversation or streaming movie is going, the scan might get postponed,
but when it stops, the scan can occur.