getting started to hack nm ...

hi everyone

I am currently looking for some open source project to invest
some spare coding time into as my current job activities are starting to
bore me to death..

googling leads to http://projects.gnome.org/NetworkManager/developers/
which lists the git repositories and gives some basic info. The link
to the TODO list however is out of date. So my questions are ..

1. is there an up to date TODO list to get some ideas what I could
   look into ?

2. How do you usually go about working on nm .. do you run your builds
   inside a virtual machine or fake root or something like that in order
   to not collide with your desktop which most likely runs nm as well..?

3. any other suggestions/hints/warnings/.. ? :)

thanks a lot in advance.

best regards,
Tobias