Re: network-manager-openvpn

Read slowly, im not talking about routes here, talking about all the
openvpn parameters that are not yet configurable/importable with the
current graphical interface. They could just be configured through or
imported into a single listbox as described above.

But that's *horrible* UI and not something I'd like to condone.  I'd
rather add the options on an as-needed basis to ensure we don't just
dump everything in, and find out that we overloaded the UI with 50
options that almost nobody uses.  Which I suspect is true for at least
half of openvpn's options, because they did absolutely no work in
consolidating them and asking the people who requested the options
what they were actually trying to accomplish to constrain the number
of switches that openvpn supports.  I'm interested in making it work
for 90 - 95% of use-cases, but I don't think we should be designing
for that last 5%, especially when it makes things nearly unusable for
the other 90.

This must have been discussed before on this list, but I'm curious the
reasoning behind making network-manager-openvpn have its own GUI for
configuration in the first place.  Why not offer functionality similar
to the Windows/Mac clients that simply manage your connections via
configuration files?  You'd get all the flexibility of OpenVPN with none
of the overhead of constantly having to write patches to support /
debate the inclusion of individual options.

Matt