Re: NetworkManager 0.7.1 failing with university's WPA2-Enterprise wifi

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 17:38 +0200, list phuk ath cx wrote:
> Jud Craft wrote:
> > Hello there.  I've been trying for about a week and a half to get my
> > Fedora 11 laptop working with my university's wifi network.
> >
> > It is a WPA2-enterprise, certificate-using, PEAP, MSCHAPV2 type of
> > wireless network.  I am certain I know my wireless access user name
> > and password, and even the domain (although I'm not sure if that's
> > useful).  I have the certificate and the connection working fine under
> > Windows.
> >
> > I cannot get it to work under Fedora.  I wish I could give more useful
> > information -- "my WPA wifi won't work" isn't good enough for a bug
> > report, I haven't proven anything's wrong.  But I'm no fool and
> > relatively linux-savvy.  Is there any reason why a WPA+certificate
> > network might not be able to work under Linux?
> >
> > The funny thing is, I actually got it to work last Friday, without
> > question, all day.  When I changed my password over the weekend
> > though, I couldn't log on to it on Monday or hereafter.  (My
> > nm-version from Fedora-stable is 0.7.1-git-20090708, so the software
> > hasn't been changed.)
> >
> > If it helps, I've heard that some of my Mac friends are having trouble
> > getting on to it, but that might be a red herring.
> >
> > In the past (back at college) I'd just ignore this and go back to
> > Windows.  But I really want it to work -- there's no reason why it
> > shouldn't.  Are there any pointers or anything I could have missed?
>
> There's definitely some breakage in that area in NetworkManager. I use
> eduroam all the time (with WPA-EAP). It works flawlessly with just
> wpa_supplicant, but NetworkManager never managed to get the auth done.

It has worked in the past; we need to find out what's going wrong if
it's not working here.  Any chance you can give NM a try and kick the
supplicant to spit out debugging info?

Edit /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant.service and add "-dddt" to the end of the Exec= line in that file, then "killall -TERM wpa_supplicant", then try to connect.  Then grab /var/log/wpa_supplicant.log for me.

Thanks!

Dan