Re: NetworkManager on Karmic Koala (0.8~a~git.20090804) doesn't recognise Mobile modem Huawei E1692 (lsusb shows E620)

On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 09:38 +0300, Peteris Krisjanis wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> Same old story - worked in Jaunty after usb_modeswitch, doesn't in
> Karmic. Usb_modeswitch  works properly, dmesg shows serial ports gets
> created, but NM remains silent in it's own debug (--no-daemon and
> NM_SERIAL_DEBUG used) and I can't connect to mobile broadband profile
> I created.mBug reported here:
> https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/network-manager/+bug/412362
>
> I just wonder how I could help to get this modem back in the line?
> What debug shall I do and report for the record? What code I should
> pull and compile? :) I have some expierence with crunching bugs like
> this, so give me instructions, I will try to do the rest.

Modems are handled by ModemManager now, which is more flexible and a
better architecture for the future.  To figure out what's going on now,
you'll want to:

1) Stop NetworkManager
2) run /usr/sbin/modem-manager --debug
3) Start NetworkManager
4) Plug in your modem

And tell us what log output ModemManager spews out.

> Also another "interesting" feature of this modem in Jaunty is losing
> it's serial ports when mobile connection goes high-way. Only
> re-plugging and reswitching helps. Kernel bug? NM problem?

What do you mean by "loosing its serial ports"?