Re: gnome-bluetooth integration

On Fri, 2009-08-07 at 17:02 -0700, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> > >         > NAP means that the iPhone would access the Internet using
> > >         your computer,
> > >         > not your computer accessing the internet through your
> > >         iPhone...
> > >

> > >         no, if the phone tells you NAP, then this means that the
> > >         iPhone acts as
> > >         Network Access Point. The computer connecting to the phone
> > >         would be the
> > >         PANU. This patch is 100% correct.
> > >
> > > Anyhow it works flawlesly for me with gnome-bluetooth 2.27.8,
> > > bluez 4.46 and current git versions of NM and nm-applet and
> > > iPhone 3G OS 3.0.
> > > Thanks for that - it makes my life a whole lot easier.
> >
> > Awesome, great to know!  I just pushed the fix to the GUI bits that
> > should fix your original problem.  We got everything right in NM, but
> > the gnome-bluetooth plugin wasn't checking the right capability bit.
>
> I still don't understand why gnome-bluetooth is involved in the PAN
> support for NM? To be honest NM could pick up paired devices that allow
> PAN connection directly without the round-trip via the UI. I must be
> missing something here since I don't get it.

The original idea was that we weren't going to show/expose bluetooth
devices in the UI that didn't have some NM config created for them.
Partially to keep the menu and device list less cluttered by any random
BT device you had paired with but weren't actually using for networking
support.  Since we can't scan for the devices, we don't actually know
they are available to use, and thus we have to show them in the menu all
the time.  So showing every paired device that could do PAN or DUN in
the menu irregardless of whether you wanted to use it for PAN or DUN
seemed a bit wrong.  But it's true that most people will have only a few
BT devices anyway.

Having actually implemented this now though, we probably don't need
gnome-bluetooth for the PAN bits, you're right.  We do, however, need
gnome-bluetooth for the DUN bits so we run our mobile broadband wizard
when you set up the PAN connection.