Re: Novacom GNS-60IU - how to add support

On Sun, 2009-04-26 at 23:18 +0400, Alex Williams wrote:
> > Depends on how odd the modem is, what sort of initialization it
> > requires, and how screwed up the ISP's PPP server is.  I haven't started
> > to look into this yet, but I do remember a lot of variation back in the
> > late 90s with ISP authentication procedures.  For starters we just go
> > with simple I think.  What sort of wvdial config do you have for it?
>
> http://pastebin.ca/1403580 - that's all what you need to get it
> working with wvdial. It's a modern digital GPRS/EDGE modem with "old
> style modem emulation" (I think so :) )...

Ok, that sounds like any normal 3G modem, not actually a POTS modem :)
What does "AT+GCAP" return for the device, and what driver does it use?
cdc-acm?  What are the USB IDs of it?

> I'm also have Huawei E220 3G UMTS/HSDPA USB modem - it working fine
> with Ubuntu 9.04 and NetworkManager. But I need to watch signal level
> and other statistics - how to do that in NetworkManager?
>
> If this is not implemented in NetworkManager - I thinking about to
> implement it in future... but do not have free time...

It's implemented on NM master using ModemManager; the NM 0.7.x
infrastructure isn't flexible enough to do it currently.  So NM 0.7.x
probably won't get this functionality, but NM 0.8 will.  You could write
a small applet that just does AT+CSQ on a secondary port periodically
and converts that from the GSM notation to suitable signal bars.  NM
0.7.x shouldn't touch secondary USB interfaces at this time.