Re: how can I disconnect?

On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 19:09 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Nicolò Chieffo wrote:
>

> > So I propose this: when you click on a network to which you are
> > currently connected (wired or wireless), you get disconnected.
> > Now the default behavior is instead of renewing the connection and the
> > IP address.
> >
> > What do you think of this proposal?
>
> I think this is pretty counter-intuitive behaviour.
>
> If such a feature is to be added to nm-applet it should imho be implemented as a
> separate clickable (disconnect) icon next to the connection.
> Afaicr, the mockups that were floating around regarding the new gui for
> nm-applet had something liks this.

Yes, were this to be implemented, it would be a separate toggle.

There are a few levels of "disconnected" here though:

1) NM completely off (ie, sleep)
2) specific device disconnected, disabled, and in power-save mode (ie,
PHY down or rfkilled)
3) specific device disconnected, though still powered on and scanning,
but doesn't automatically activate any connections

The issue is conveying to the user the specific meaning of (2) and (3).
Perhaps (2) == "Disabled" while (3) == "Manual" or something like that.

Another question comes to mind; if a user switched to "Manual" mode,
would that disconnect the current connection (if any), or leave it
active?