Re: New to list

On Mon, 2009-04-06 at 11:03 -0500, Eric Lee Elliott wrote:
> Hello,
> Where can I find a trouble shooting sequence for NM?  What version
> of NM should I be testing?  I want to help, know little and have
> experienced both kppp & NM working and failing since early Oct 7.

What version of NM do you have installed?

> I have for use in testing:
> Cellular modems Sierra AC860 & AC875.  A Sierra 885USB is in mail to
> me.

I've got both an 860 and an 881 which I've used for various times.  I'm
pretty sure it worked with the 0.7.0 final release back in November.  I
just tested with 0.7.1 and a 2.6.27 kernel and it works in Fedora too.

One thing to check: do you have /lib/firmware/SW_8xx_SER.cis ?

> Lenovo notebook with Intel 945 chipset .
> Gateway MX6447 with AMD & ATI RS485M chipset.
> Shuttle with AMD 64 & Nvidia chipset can also be used for testing
> only the 885 for lack of a PC card slot.
> Each computer has several 20 GB partitions for install of Linux.
>
> Last week, daily builds of Ubuntu, Kubuntu & Xubuntu would not work
> with 860 or 875 and Xubuntu did not work with Ethernet, 802 or
> cellular data cards.   With kernel 2.6.14 only 802 & 875 work but if
> NM 0.7 is allowed to install the
> AC875 is found not to be a broadband device.  Much of what I have
> read is outdated or conflicts with what I see when running same
> commands.  If I know where to find a testing method or sequence, I
> would be happy to test Ethernet, 802 & cellular on each computer.

Whether the cards show up or not is dependent on the version of NM
you're using; 0.7.0 uses a static list (provided by 10-modem.fdi from
the hal-info package), while 0.7.1 will probe for modems and what type
of modem the card is.

dan