Re: NM and usb eth gadget

On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 17:07 +0100, Robert Piasek wrote:
> Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-09-26 at 10:55 +0100, Robert Piasek wrote:
> >
> > When it comes to usb ethernet gadget it seems it's got different MAC
> > address every time you connect the device. Is there any way i can
> > instruct NM on "default" behavior for new connections for specific
> > type (like apply these settings only if that's usb and no eth or wifi).
> >
> > > That seems somewhat wrong; what hardware is it?  Does it have the MAC
> > > address printed on a barcode on the outside of the device?  They have to
> > > get a MAC from somewhere, and it can't just be a random one.
> >
> > > Dan
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for your answer. The device is Openmoko Neo Freerunner phone.
> Every time you connect with USB networking it's got different mac address
> for usb ethernet gadget. I've overriden this setting on phone itself, so the
> question is more like "Can it be done with NM?"
>
> Can you configure NM to use name (like usb0) rather than MAC address
> for static setup? It would be quite flexible when you mix it with custom
> udev rules (especially for vitrual machines environment).

Not really, precisely because names are subject to change by udev and
whatnot.  Names are even less stable than MAC addresses, and this is
really an abuse.  Is OpenMoko seriously too lame to get a pool of MAC
addresses?  Do they at least start with 00:02 or something like that?

Couldn't you use udev rules to always assign the same MAC address to the
phone based on USB vendor/device ID and serial #?  Please tell me they
actually provide a real serial # on the USB interface... otherwise
somebody needs a cluebat.